Thursday, March 4, 2010

Skies and dogs...

It's where my eyes have been drawn to lately.

We've had a long, wet winter for Northern California. Wetter than usual, and I'm not complaining, seems like we've been in a drought since 1985. Anyway, eyes to the skies lately. Yesterday in particular, it was... entertaining to say the least. Have you seen the latest in the Harry Potter series, The Half Blood Prince? You know the opening scene, the dark, nearly black skies above London that split open when the bad guys came spiraling out, trailing a smoky black vapor behind them? Yeah... it kinda looked like that... but instead of Death Eaters, we got hail.

Thankfully, the fury of storms like that don't last long, and by the time I left work for the day, we were treated to some especially beautiful, albeit moody skies...


This last photo was from my back yard; the sky was unbelievably pink, much more so than this picture, positively fuchsia!

I happened to have my camera with me and snapped these on my drive home. Arm out the window, streaking through the grape vineyards and almond orchards, 60mph, snap, snap, snap.

Today was a new day, crisp and scrubbed clean by yesterdays heavy rain. The sun was still shining when I got home from work, so it was "Come on dogs! Let's go for a walk!"

Lola and Butch have been such good sports this very rainy season. Do your dogs give you "the look" when you don't walk them? Ours do. Baleful and disappointed, as though we ought to be ashamed of ourselves depriving these poor doggy-souls of the joy of peeing where ever they please and the breeze through their nose. The weather IS NOT a consideration, not to them. So today, I took them to the canal and let them run, they deserved it... I got a beautiful sunset and some great pictures of my babies out of the deal, so it was a win-win.

Ready, set, go!
My pretty girl.
Dum-dee-dum...
Happiest when running... his ears crack me up, they're like sails.
Ahhh, spring is in the air...

How 'bout you? Are you ready to throw off the quilts and sweep out the fireplace? I'm not quite there, but the spring fever isn't far off. I hope you didn't mind all the pictures, I do believe I've been called snap-happy on more than one occasion. I have something new to share, hoping to be done by this weekend... stay tuned!

oxo~Lisa

3 comments:

parTea lady said...

Great photos. Snapping pictures at 60 mph - I thought I only had to worry about people talking on their cells. ;-) The canal looks like a beautiful place to walk your four legged friends.

Giggly said...

Gorgeous pics!!! I've been looooving this California rain. :)

Lisa said...

I've taken pics on the fly before too, but not with my arm out the window! I love that visual!

Your babies do look like they are in their element out running. My boy, Winston, seems to hang his head and be bummed each time it's time to come in...even if we've been out for a few hours!

Your pictures of the sky really are gorgeous! :)