Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tiny Cakes

Helleeeeeeeew!
So, a couple of days ago I mentioned that over the weekend my friend came over to belatedly celebrate her birthday. I made her a little something, and now that it's safely in her hands, I thought I'd share with you all.

Tiny cakes are my favorite, I've made a few of these now, the first one last summer for my own birthday. They're actually bottlecap pincushions, but I like to make them into cakes.
 I think this one is by far the cutest, fanciest one I've made. I just love it to pieces.

Like with just about everything I make, it all starts with indecision... I posted this photo on Instagram while trying to decide what colors I should go with.

Dez isn't an overly girly-girl, so I didn't want to make her an all pink cake. Instead I went with a soft, buttery yellow with pink & blue decorative "frosting" stitches.
Here's the little cake (with my original in the background) about 1/2 way finished. There's a lesson to be learned here, people, one which I have yet to completely absorb, and that is to do all the decorative stitches while the side piece is flat, BEFORE you sew it into a circle. I'm going to remember that one of these days.

Here's the finished little cake, couldn't ya just eat it up in one bite? This one might take two bites, it's quite a bit bigger than the others I've made. Instead of a soda bottle cap I used a Gatorade cap, it's about twice as big as a regular bottle cap.

I was fresh-out of little gift bags, so I used a piece of craft paper and made a small square open-topped box. Double bonus, you can drop in a battery operated tea light and it becomes a paper luminary. 

I hope Dez likes her little cake, it's the first thing I've ever made for her and it always makes me nervous giving someone something for the first time. Even when this person has been my friend since we were five years old.

Happy birthday, girl! I love ya.
oxo,
Lisa

7 comments:

Beedeebabee said...

What an adorable, beautiful gift, Lisa! Your little hand stitched cakes are just the cutest things ever! I bet Desiree loved it two pieces...who wouldn't?!!! Everything you make, you make so special! These are sooo darn cute!!! xoxo

Angela McRae said...

Now that is simply one of the cutest cakes I've ever seen! Bet she was thrilled!

(And thanks for the heads-up on those blue Ball jars -- got some at Target thanks to you!)

Michele T said...

Such a treasure and very sweet!! Thanks for sharing!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thanks for sharing the valuable lesson about doing all the decorative stitching while flat. I know your friend loved her little cake!
Deb

Chris said...

That is so fabulous!!

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa! My name is Simone, I'm from Brazil and I'm a huge fan of your projects! This little one is my favorite and its posts a kind of gift because today is my B-day! So I felt this little cake is also to me!!! lol Sorry, Desiree! It's a joke, for sure! Thanks for sharing this idea, it's on my to-do list! Big hugs!

beadgirl said...

Sooooo cute!