Friday, July 19, 2013

Salsa!

Hola Amigos!
Happy Friday! This week seems to have flown by and while I haven't gotten much done in the way of stitching, I've been up to my eyeballs in fresh produce. Oh salsa, how I love you!

Last weekend I decided it was high time I visit a man of local legend to procure the main ingredient for some killer home made salsa. Tomato Bob, as he's known, grows tomatoes right there along side his house just outside of town and sells them at a little stand in the driveway. They are glorious, big, fat, red, juicy, delicious globes of goodness. I bought two flats.
I may have over estimated how much salsa I was prepared to make... two flats is a LOT of tomatoes. Fortunately, it won't go to waste in this house, my husband, if left to his own devices would subsist on chips & salsa for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

I don't use a recipe for my salsa, it's all according to taste, but it's pretty basic and goes a little something like this:
Tomatoes
Onion, red & white
Garlic
Cilantro
Jalapeno Peppers
Serrano Peppers
Lemon Juice
Salt

We like it with some heat, but not enough to make you run for the garden hose. Everything gets a rough chop, then gets a whirl in the food processor a little at a time until it's the consistency we like.

I ended up making TWO very large batches of salsa this week, the picture below is my biggest melamine bowl, I included the bag of chips for scale. I made TWO of these bowls, plus a little extra to give away. That's a lotta salsa!!
I think we've got enough to last us through this weekend, next week's another story. 
Now... where's my cerveza?

Have a grand weekend, friends! If you need me, I'll be in the hammock out back.
oxo,
Lisa

p.s. These pictures are all from my Instagram feed this week. I've just started using this thing, so I'm still learning, but here's me, come on over for a peep if you like. Are you there too? Do tell!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Yum! The perfect thing for in this heat. Those tomatoes look amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Parece muito bom...huuuummmm
Também vou preparar molho de tomate em grande escala neste fim de semana.
Um abraço!
Egléa

Looks pretty good ... huuuummmm
I will also prepare tomato sauce on a large scale this weekend.
Hugs!
Egléa

TheMistressT said...

You're going to have salsa for blood!

Victoria said...

Hi Lisa!. This is Victoria, from Valencia (Spain). Here in Spain have something similar to that tomato sauce but not with jalapeños, which is Mexican. It is what we call "tomate frito" or "salsa de tomate". You can make the most of this season of tomatoes which are now in the best moment and chop them along with some onion (White) and some garlic. You fry everything with no so much oil, just the necessary and then you can freeze it in small batches to have it along the fall and Winter. I hope you like it. Love!

Bascom Hogue said...

You make a real cheery blog and it makes me smile

Beedeebabee said...

Gorgeous tomatoes and that big batch of salsa looks sooo delicious! xo