Saturday, March 31, 2012

OMG Penguins!

Hello Lovelies!
Well, I think I should start with a little warning; look out - naughty words below!
This is my finished piece for the most recent Phat Quarter Swap, the theme of this swap was "It's Not The End Of The World". My send-to partner for this swap was my webby pal, Jo. Jo is a talented stitcher and a funny lady with a wicked sense of humor. I knew she wouldn't be scared off by a little cuss. And thank goodness, because let's face it, some things like poor Mr. Penguin here dropping his ice cream may not be the end of the world, but they sure are the shits, especially when a nearby wiseacre points and laughs at his misfortune.

 I told Jo that I trolled around in her pictures and discovered her love of penguins, especially her favorite the Rockhopper Penguin. These guys look so serious with their furrowed, bright yellow brows.
I printed off a few examples so I had a reference, then I just got my scissors and started cutting shapes.

 Like conversation & thought bubbles.

Here are a few detail shots... 



 

 
Dropped ice cream is tragic.

Here's how I finished the back... This was the first time I sewed the backing on. I'm not sure how I feel about the results. I like it in theory, but it didn't seem tight enough.

I had fun making this piece, and am so glad to report that it's arrived at its new home in New Zealand just this week, and Jo loves it. Yayyyyyyyy! Oh, the title of this post? Well, that came from Jo herself. When she sent me a message on Facebook, she said OMG OMG OMG, which really made me laugh because that's my reaction too when I love something. I knew I was going to have to use it here somehow. Thank you, Jo!

Oh! And I wanted to thank all of YOU too, for all the warm welcomes for our new little buddy, Boswell! He's settling in just fine, we're all adjusting nicely to each other. He's such a love bug!
Here he is acting a perfect angel with a handsome blue bow, and his favorite new toy, Froggy. He carries Froggy everywhere, squeaking and squeaking. Boz loves Froggy, thank you Auntie Jill!!

Hope you all have a great weekend!
oxo,
Lisa

11 comments:

Martha said...

How cute and what great skill you have!

Jill said...

OMG OMG OMG! Your penguins turned out SO great-- love those eyebrows and your stitches throughout this piece are so perfect! Well done!

Ah, I love that Bozzie loves his froggy from his favorite (ahem) auntie. He is such a love-- he really IS the perfect fit for your little family! Soooo cute!

Hugs,
Jill

my cup of tea said...

Great job Lisa! Very thoughtful and creative of you!
~Donna~

Michelle said...

Your little penguins are amazing!

suzitee said...

Gorgeous stitches on those penguins Lisa... the eyebrows are hilarious! Boswell is such a cutie... I'm so pleased to hear that he is a good fit for your family :)

Unknown said...

You did such a great job on this piece. Jo is super lucky!!

Bonnie said...

Oh man, what great work! I love the thought bubbles! Everything turned out so great. P.S. your doggie is so adorable! love his froggie toy.

Kira - oopsicraftmypants.com said...

LOL! Pretty cute :) I love the stitching and the use of felt! It really stands out on the hoop. Totally cool

BronwynB said...

Haha, Great job Lisa. Your finishing looks fine to me. And how cute is little Boz. What a gorgeous coat!

Amy Cluck said...

Super cute! great job! Adorable little doggie too.

Amy Cluck said...

Super cute! Great job. And an adorable little doggie you have there too!